Primate Behavior, Human Evolution, Book Reviews, Parenthood, Travel, Snowboarding, Negotiating Roundabouts, Graduate School, Politics, Religion

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Labor Problems

July 21-Day 19 in the DRC

Mange is the chief guide here and almost always accompanies me into the forest. He is a sweet man, probably 50, with an easy-going smile and soft, friendly voice. I often wish I could imitate his quietness.



The other day, while Ross and India were waiting for us near one of the many gigantic termite mounds found here in the forest, Mange and I wandered a short distance away to look at some bonobo nests. After a few moments we heard an animal foraging along the ground and grunting. Seconds later, Ross and India, slightly panicked and having abandoned all their gear came running toward us claiming some horrible beast was coming right at them. Mange could not contain his smile. When I asked him what kind of animal made the frightful noise, he smiled even wider and said "bolafo." The dreaded forest antelope-about the size of a Pomeranian



Unfortunately, there has been some tension between the two of us over the past few days. He and the other guides are claiming that, in 2007, we had an agreement with them for two months of work after we left. And now they want $3000. Money we do not have. I can't say that I blame them for trying to squeeze us but they are being unreasonable. The letters they claim as contracts were written to allow them to stay in the camp-something they asked us to do for them in an effort to display to Lomako Reserve authorities that they had a right to be there. There was never any contract, verbal or otherwise, that stated they would be getting paid for this. Now they are threatening to take the matter to the authorities.

Here were my points when I discussed this with Mange: 1) The spirit of the letters was to allow you to stay in the village while we were away. A friendly gesture. Not a work order. 2) The work carried out (as presented to me in a chewed up notebook) was not research but a log of times someone (does not designate whom) went into and came out of the forest. No bonobo data. No plant data. There is nothing we can use and no way of knowing who did what. And finally 3) this is my second time here and each time I have brought medicines for the children and guides (anti-worm, malarial cures, antibiotics) as well as headlamps, solar panels, batteries, and other items. The items we stored here in 2007 have disappeared. And now they are threatening to involve the authorities (in which case we may be forced to pay or be held until payment arrives in a nearby town where the authorities are centralized.) To me this approach is disrespectful and obviously threatens the long term relationship between the U of O and the Lomako guides.

I need to remind myself that these are amongst the poorest people on the planet (average annual wage of $92). I need to stay calm. I certainly don't have the money to pay them but feel fairly confident that we can come up with some compromise. The big meeting is tomorrow. Could get ugly. I never thought I would find myself on the management side of a labor dispute.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Followers

About Me

My photo
Husband, father, son, brother and uncle. Anthropologist, musicologist, conservationist, outraged voice.